Monday, September 7, 2009

Going Longer in My Workouts

During the past 8 days, I did three 16 mile training runs. It is good to be able to get some distance in, especially with the gorgeous weather we have been having. The middle of the week did not go so well. During the track workout my left hip was slightly off and not bearing my weight properly. The intervals went OK. It was three times a set of a 400, another 400, and then an 800. I was able to keep a few paces behind Mike Wade and Steve Wolfe but the intervals did not have the intensity I would have liked to put into them. The 400's were between 81 and 84 seconds. The 800's were 2:51, 2:53, and 2:47. I changed into an older pair of shoes to warm down and my hip just shut down. I stopped the warm down and let my hip bother me for the next two days over which I did not run. Stretching seems to make it worse so I stopped doing that. I continued doing Feldenkrais and slowly it has been recovering. Then I ran 16 miles on Saturday, 8 miles on Sunday, and then did another 16 miles today. Happily my muscles are not getting sore or tired. I am working on the form I am learning through Feldenkrais practices. I can get one side working well, but I don't have the symmetry to get both sides working fully together yet. However the improvements are coming as I feel very light and I am gliding as I run as opposed to muscling my way through a workout. It is going to take a while, but I like the way things are going.

Speaking of long runs, here is an amazing video of a "Persistance Hunt". If you have read Born to Run: A Hidden Tribe, Superathletes, and the Greatest Race the World Has Never Seen" by Christopher McDougall you are familiar with this "primal" type of hunting. In this video tribesman of the San on the Kalahari Desert of Africa run down a male Kudu. It also reminds me of a book I sometimes read aloud to my class called Tracker by Gary Paulson. In this story a boy goes out to hunt a deer to "make meat" for the winter but instead walks it down until it is so exhausted that he can "touch" it. The magic he imagines (healing his ill grandfather) never happens but another magic of accompishing a difficult task which you cannot explain does happen.

No comments: