Saturday, June 22, 2013

First two days on the ElliptiGO and training again!

Yesterday, I got an ElliptiGO. Running is not working and I can't spend the summer not exercising. What a blast! I did 14 miles yesterday and again today.

It rides quite nicely and best of all, I can closely approximate running without the pounding. I can also work on my hips and stride as I go and the best news is, that when I am done riding, my hips feel great-no limping. In fact, I actually feel better walking around with a better range of motion and a more balanced stride after both workouts. It feels better than all the therapy I have been trying put together (although I am sure they are helping). I also get that tired muscle feeling that you get from running that I had been missing. It should be a good summer getting into shape.

Yes, it is expensive, but my wife knew I'd be getting one before I did for my own mental and physical health. I would rather pay for one of these than go through another surgery or just sit around like I had been doing waiting for a miracle so I could start training again.

I hope that the ElliptiGO can help me get back to running some day again. If not, this is as close as it comes (except I get to be faster). One of America's top runner's my age had two hip surgeries that were worse than mine and could not run any longer. That is until he got an ElliptiGO and eventually returned to running and winning National Championships as well as running a 1:12 half-marathon. Brian Pilcher is my new role model. If he can make it back, then I, too, have a shot. Read a bit of his story here.

I got mine at Extreme Fitness in Newton, Ma. I had to wait for a new shipment to come in and I was there as soon as it did. Matt was very helpful and an ElliptiGO owner himself. He said a bunch of guys went out and back on the Boston Marathon course the day before the marathon this year. That sounds like a fun event to do until I can run Boston again. His store also is sponsoring the ElliptiGO race I signed up for last month.

There is quite a list of elite runners and other endurance athletes who are turning to the ElliptiGO to supplement their training or because they can no longer run. Check this out.





14 comments:

Dan said...

That look very cool. I'm glad you found something that is helping you get back on the roads.

Frank Lilley said...

This is VERY interesting. Thanks for sharing this!! My hip is doing really good but I have a friend who had to have a hip replacement and not running is killing her!!! This just might be a great solution for her!

Please share your thoughts as you use your ElliptiGO.

Hope this is your solution!!

Jim Hansen said...

Thanks Dan and Frank,
Tell your friend to check out the ElliptiGO site. There are a lot of testimonials of athletes (some with hip replacements) using the ElliptiGO to get their fix. There is no pounding and it has a more pleasant and running-like movement than an elliptical machine, plus you can hook it up to a bike trainer and use it indoors.

Unknown said...

I know Jim will love his EliptiGo. I've had one for a year and echo his comments. It is the closest thing I have found to running without the associated pounding. I still get a lot of funny looks when I am using it, but it doesn't bother me in the least.

Jim Hansen said...

Thanks Steve, I don't mind the funny looks as long as I can have fun getting that endorphin rush (and fitness).

Laura said...

How is it going down hill? Where we live you either go up or down and that seems kind of scary to me!

I'm glad you found something that works for you.

Jim Hansen said...

Thanks Laura, It is really fun and I feel like I get a great run in without the pounding. I haven't tried a fast downhill yet. It is supposed to have a low center of gravity so it should be stable. It does bounce over rough roads so I wouldn't want to be going fast and hit some rough pavement. The next town over has some nice hills and I hope to get over there next week to try it out. I'm a little nervous about one downhill that I hit about 45 mph on my bike. I don't think you go as fast on the ElliptiGO due to wind resistance. I will let you know when I hit the bigger hills or you can read the hospital report!

Davery said...

Great story - I am seriously considering after my test ride this weekend.

Anonymous said...

Saw your blog post on ElliptiGO's Facebook page. I agree with you 100%. One thing I would nudge ElliptiGO to do is start marketing to masters runners. The open runners are young and heal quicker. We masters need a little more time, and ElliptiGO is a great stand in for keeping fitness levels up without any incremental injury.

Jim Hansen said...

I agree 100% with that. If (when) I get my running back, I can see this as the ultimate tool to get in great mileage without the damage or to recover from injuries. Plus it is wonderfully fun to use!

Anonymous said...

My wife and I have ElliptiGOs. IMO they are the greatest fitness tools available.

Unknown said...

Jim, that is a great story and so similar to mine. I got my first Go over 3 years ago and lost enough wieght to try running again and did well in some road races but then blew my back one more time. So I am offically retired at 57 and do the Go exclusivly to remember my running days. BTW they included running in meets with the likes of Mary Decker Slaney so to see her at last year's Championships was a real honor and Robyn Benincasa the reigning World Champ (in the pic with Mary)is an awesome adventure athelete as well.

Unknown said...

54 y/o - lifelong workout guy. Damaged joints keep me from running and I've cycled 1,-2,000 miles per year but never dropped weight. Now after really hitting the GO this spring I've dropped 30lbs.
And I can go as HARD as I want and nothing hurts!!!
Amazing exercise device.
Best thing I've ever used.
$$ WELL spent.

Jim Hansen said...

That is great to hear Michael! We are the same age and I agree with everything you say 100%. I have only had it two weeks now, but have gone 300 miles and am working it hard and it feels great for a change. Now, I have to let it burn off all the pounds I have put on in the last three years of limited or no running. The ElliptiGO is going to take off some day when the rest of the aging runners find out how much fun it is! I love storming up hills and going all out for extended times and I enjoy seeing much more of the world around me then when running or cycling!