Wednesday, May 12, 2010

The Saggital, Frontal, and Transverse Planes of Motion

Here is the newest video from Lori Thomsen where she explains the three planes of motion and offers Postural Restoration exercises to improve functioning in each plane. Previous videos showed how to do a squat to work on bending or flexing forward in the saggital plane and how to shift side-to-side to improve movement in the frontal plane. All her videos can be found here. The new video adds the transverse plane with movements that rotate the trunk or move the shoulders and hips in and out. Lori shows a couple of activites for runners that utilize movements in all three planes. It should help with asymmetries in the body. I know when I went to a Postural Restoration therapist, I was told I had a tough time shifting into my left hip. The second activity she demonstrates is exactly like one I was taught. One difference is that I used an elastic band right above both knees to add resistance. I also wasn't taught the arm movements and side bend, so this video adds some new ideas for me.


Activities for The Transverse Plane from Hruska Clinic on Vimeo.

I have also been learning more on the three planes of motion through a DVD called Core Conversion from Gary Gray's Gray Insitute. I have used it twice so far this week. Here is the blurb about the DVD:

The Core Conversion workout is an efficient and effective way to train the body’s true “core” – the nose to the toes – in all three planes of motion, utilizing a strategic sequencing of lifts, lunges, squats, squat thrusts, and push-ups. This workout is the perfect blend of strength training, flexibility, and cardiovascular endurance that trains the body to not only feel better, but to function better. The Core Conversion is a necessity to any workout program – either as a standalone or as a compliment – that can be tweaked accordingly for different ages and abilities in order to maximize and expand one’s functional threshold.

It is an interesting and informative DVD, although after going through the tutorial the workout seems a bit fast paced. That can lead to imperfect movements as you try to keep up. Maybe I will get faster as I get used to the workout. This video show Gary Gray showing an athlete an abdominal workout based on the three planes of motion. This is very similar to part of the Core Conversion DVD.



Here is a previous post I made on the three planes of motion.

No comments: