Sunday, January 17, 2010

Slowly Starting Up Again

I have been babying an achilles problem recently and I am happy to be able to start running again. Last week I tried running twice and stopped after one mile each time because I could feel the achilles pulling. This Friday I tried a slow 2 miles on the treadmill. It worked. Saturday I went 5 miles on the treadmill. Both times my pace was very slow, but the achilles did not bother my stride (although I still feel it and it is sore if I push on it). Today I did another 5 miles. I am slowly trying to move the pace up a notch every 1/2 mile or so. I have a long way to go as I can tell it is still not right and I am ready to stop the second it hurts when I run, but it certainly feels good to get running again. I do miss the training and don't like skipping the snowshoe races, but I am being patient so it can heal and hopefully I can start training for Boston soon.

2 comments:

Trish said...

good to hear you're getting in some sort of runs. I too am pampering an achilles niggle, much to my chagrin. I do find that the treadmill is easiest on it, while waiting for the return of lovely soft grass. As someone who has only taken off 3 days from running in 2009 it was with much trepidation that I've decided to take a complete rest from running 2days per week this year in order to soothe niggles. So far, it's working out.
Happy miles,
trish

Jim Hansen said...

Hi Trish,
Yeah, I am learning the achilles is something else. After 3 days of running on the treadmill it was fine. Then I ran through a parking lot with my daughter for a few seconds and tweaked it again. Two more days off!! Hopefully I can run today!You have quite a record of not missing days, so be careful if that achilles is sore!
Jim