Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Looking for a Surgeon: Labral Tear



At the end of a busy racing month last August (11 races), I finished my first 5000 meter track race in 30 years just like many of the other races that month; with a very sore left hip and glute. I had to hobble to the track's infield, sit down, and think about another poor race and a hip joint that just wasn't right. Then I had to try to stand up and move with a painful hip that just didn't even want to cooperate enough to help me walk easily to my car. I knew it was time to realize that I couldn't run through the pain any more and I had to think about the possibility that something was so very wrong that just wouldn't fix itself no matter how hard I tried.

I had been wondering if I had a labral tear in my hip and wrote this post last September. It pretty much sums up what a labral tear is, so I do not have to repeat it. What I can say is that my MRI images show that I have a possible small labral tear in the superior (front) labrum, as well as another possible small tear in the posterior labrum. I guess that they can't tell if I have a hip impingement until they do surgery, but I bet they find that too. The report says I have mild degenerative changes in both hips. So I am looking for an experienced surgeon. Here is my thread on Letsrun.com. There are numerous threads all over the internet that I am scouring for advice and recommendations. Unfortunately the first doctor I called doesn't even have an appointment available for a consultation until August. I definitely want surgery, but don't want to wait that long! Anyhow, it is fun playing with the images taken during my MRI. I don't know how to read them, but it is interesting to see your internal muscles and bones, particularly the ones that have caused me so many problems.



Update:
This new book from the author of The Entrepreneurial Patient blog is a must read book for anyone with hip problems and is thinking about about arthroscopic hip surgery or has had arthroscopic hip surgery for a labral tear or FAI.






3 comments:

Jedi Dadi said...

Jim, I'm glad you finally have the answer to your woes. As a runner and friend, it's tough watching/reading you go through all this. I hope you find the right surgeon to get you back on the trails and/or roads again!

Michael said...

I wish you the best of luck Jim! And, I hope you come through this stronger than ever.

Jim Hansen said...

Thanks guys,
I look forward to the day that I can get out there and run and race with you again!