Thursday, August 6, 2009

I ran so hard... I cracked a rib!

The Gate City Striders track workout went well last night, or so I thought. I was happy to get back and do a track workout, even though my ribs have been sore for a week. It has been more just a soreness when turning over or sitting up when lying down. The only day they got a bit worse was doing the 5 mile Trail race on Monday. I figured with all the ups and downs along with the twists and turns on that course that I would be a bit more sore after that race and I was. Tuesday I had a Feldenkrais appointment. That went well. I think the gentle movements are teaching me the proper way to move. I find it very interesting and am also learning many things from the "Running with the Whole Body' audio.

My legs felt good and loose Wednesday. I ran a warm up and did some strides on the grass. The workout was to be 6 X 800m at 5k pace. I completed the workout with times between 2:47 and 2:55. Unfortunately on the last 3 or so it was very hard to get running. My ribs on the right side would seize up as I started and for about 10 steps it would feel like I had been shot or stabbed in the ribs. I was automatically making some groaning noises too. But then as I got up to speed the pain would go away and I could run relatively free. My legs and hips felt decent and when I got it right my stride felt better although it was hard to breathe fully.

After the workout I started a warm down and had to stop after about 50 yards as it hurt so much. I walked back to the track where I could not even pick up my keys, shoes, and shirt from the ground. I tried twice but my ribs were jolting me. Fortunately the Gate City Striders club president walked by and I had to ask her to do a very presidential thing and pick up my stuff for me. Driving home it hurt to even take a corner in the car. Then I couldn't move at all. Getting into bed took 1/2 an hour and I had to sleep on my back. It took about an hour to figure out how to get out of bed this morning with the least amount of pain.

I went to the doctor and he said that I probably cracked my rib. It may have started last week when I fell on Monday night during a race or when my daughter gave me a little knee to the ribs when she was saying good night, but something about running last night (breathing hard?) may have finished the job! I am hoping it is more just the muscles between the ribs having spasms as the x-rays don't show much. I do have a nice supply of heavy-duty pain medicine now (and more than enough pills to make "Gregory House" jealous), and hopefully I can figure out how to sleep better.

I guess I won't be running the Falmouth Road Race on Sunday or much of anything for awhile, but will probably still go down and watch the Falmouth Mile and the Road Race.

One thing I have learned from the Feldenkrais Method is to make slow and gentle movements as you retrain your brain. Believe me I am making slow and gentle movements all the time right now!

1 comment:

Scotty "PHAT" Graham said...

Take care Jim. Sounds like it hurts a lot.