Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Muscle Acitvation Technique: Session 7

I had my 7th weekly session of Muscle Activation Technique (M.A.T.) on Saturday. Thank goodness Wells Fargo sent me a surprise check for overcharging my account a few years ago on my mortgage and that I have a wife that advocates for me to continue with the therapy because she understands how important fixing my stride is to me. Without either of those, I would be still hobbling around. The interesting thing going in to this session was that I felt myself feeling more solid as the week progressed without any regression at all. My feet feel strong. almost too strong. as I am not used to using my big toe and MPT joint so much. Greg worked on my toes, feet, and lower leg again. I feel this is the most important part of getting my alignment and stride to stay straight. It was a typical session of testing, palpating where necessary, doing some isometrics, and retesting. After 7 sessions I am extremely confident in Greg's expertise and skills. I would not be continuing on if I didn't think 100% that we are on the right track. I am going to take a week off and go back after two weeks and we are going to work on the right hip (keeping away from the problematic left hip). Strangely, although my left hip is weak and gets sore as it adjusts, it is actually the right hip that my body says needs some work as it feels a bit behind the left and my right leg is a bit awkward when easing my foot down to the road. I think I am getting close to being done with these sessions and it is time to keep working on the slow build up and to see how well all of this work sticks with my body.

Two weeks ago I ran a total of 10 miles doing 5 two mile runs. Then I took 2 days off.

This week:
Monday: 0 miles
Tuesday: 2 miles
Wednesday: 2 miles
Thursday: 2 miles
Friday: 2 miles
Saturday: 4 miles (I doubled my mileage after hearing my buddy Mike Wade had run his first 50 mile ultramarathon. It  was also right after my M.A.T. therapy session.. Halfway through the run, I knew it was still too far for my hip to run smoothly, but I made it and was justly sore afterwards.
Sunday: 2 miles

Total for the week: 14 miles (barely a long run in total) It is hard to be patient and while it doesn't sound like much running to me. It is the first time since in over 2 years that I have run 5 days in a row. I am still going: as of today it is now 8 days in a row. I want to get that hip used to running properly and to be strong before I push the mileage. The good news is that when I run, there are times that I feel so loose and balanced that I can recognize the racer inside of me ready to burst out and I can feel that ease of running that has been long gone returning (and it feels good!).

I am still getting a pinching on the inside of my hip and am still debating whether to call my surgeon and see if I need an MRI. I started taking Advil in case there is inflammation in the hip area. Since I started doing that, he pinching isn't as bad and I can flex my hip a whole lot more, so either the Advil is working or it is a temporary thing as my muscles adjust to running again.

Sunday, after my run, my wife was standing there with two thumbs up. She had watched me run home and said my stride looked straight and even. My left leg was not twisting around and things have really improved.

No comments: